Wednesday 10th February.
I plugged in the supplied (rather short) USB cable. It was alive and after telling me to press the A and B buttons (It pointed at these to help me), my Micro:bit wanted me to chase the dot! Like a toddler chasing a feather dancing in the air, I waved my device about, chasing the dot and my micro:bit smiled at me! Now what?! I decided to use a longer cable!
Thursday 11th February
I spent time looking at the micro:bit website and familiarising myself with it. All the time thinking, how are my pupils going to explore this site? Which is best, Block Editor or Touch Develop? I wanted to get started straight away with a simple program so I thought of a simple number guessing game that required the built-in compass to guess the number. I refined this in to a different game so it was easier to play.
After school was my weekly code club – I demonstrated some of the features of my game to a pupil whilst, unbeknownst to me, another teacher was stood behind me (A Geography teacher!)
Geography teacher: “I like this…oh I like this!”
I showed the teacher how easy it was to write a new program to just give compass bearings. He liked that too. He pointed north and I showed him that he was correct (Micro:bit said 0) I them pointed south and Micro:bit said 180…perfect.
This coincidental demonstration reinforced the belief I have that this can be a truly cross-curricular device, that can be used across the school in any subject. My journey in to how will be detailed in this blog.